Monday, August 01, 2005

Why I Love America

Why I Love America by Mongol

A few nights ago, we had our friend (an American) over for dinner. Of course, the conversation went on and on about US policies in foreign countries. Our friend kept insisting and trying to convince us that America is doing everything wrong by trying to "help" other countries and by “telling other countries what to do.”After much listening him and Nabetz talk, I could not but ask them to be quiet for a little bit. The first thing that came to my mind was to ask our friend whether he had ever lived (not traveled, not visited, but lived!) in a communist country or in a country with totalitarian regime? Of course, he hadn’t it (otherwise he would not talk like he did). And rivers of feeling flooded my being when I thought of how appreciative I am to what America believes in and to what America tries to carry out throughout the world. Politics is not my arena of strength, so I will not go into details about American foreign policy. However, I know that America believes in Democracy and believes in making the world free.I grew up in a Communist country and came to US when I was 22 years old. And I could not believe my eyes when I saw how free and care-free people could live. On my first day of college in America, the professor asked me to write an assay about what I wanted to be in five years. I had never thought about what I want to be in five years! In Mongolia, we never wrote a paper on "what I want to be" or "how I see myself in 10 years". In communist Mongolia, you were always told what to be and what to do.But the main reason I love America is for giving the world freedom, which comes with the true meaning of democracy. In 1990, Mongolia opened up for the first time. And one of the first things that came with democracy was the freedom of religion. We all grew up under the influence of Buddhism, because there was nothing else offered. (All religion, even Buddhism, was strictly controlled by the communist regime). The people usually would go to the temple to worship idols, and offer a little of what they had (usually money) or invite over the monks (lamas) and spread a feast for them. However, in the early 90's many different missionary groups came to Mongolia and began to preach. For the first time we had a chance to openly ask questions and to choose to believe for ourselves.Often I wish that many Americans would go out and live in a third world country. Many of them, of course, would “break” in the harshness and unfairness of life there. But some might return full of inward strength and with deep appreciation that a country like America exists!